One of Us is Lying by Karen McManus, spoiler free.

 One of Us is Lying (spoiler free).


Another Booktok recommendation! When I read the synopsis, it felt like a mix between Gossip Girl and Pretty Little Liars, two shows I watched during my middle school years. Full of nostalgia, and legit curious, I jumped on the occasion and ran into the first bookshop I found to buy it. The seller, adorable as he is, gave me a free copy of One of Us is Next, which is supposed to be the sequel (I'll talk about it more later on this review). That copy was not published yet, and was the free copy editors give sellers and journalists so they can give a review. The shop still had a copy left, and the seller kindly proposed to give it to me! I said yes, especially since the second one was supposed to be published weeks later, on april, saving me from spending almost 18 euros. 

Back to the main topic : One of Us is Lying, a spoiler free review.

The story.

Bronwyn, Cooper, Nate, Addy and Simon. Five very different students who get detention at the same time. During that short time they share together, one of them dies... and it's none other than Simon who, despite being an outsider, was also the gossip boy, the creator of the notorious app that shares the students' deepest and darkest secrets. 
Quickly, the police runs out the accident and the four remaining students become suspects. Who murdered Simon? 

Thoughts.

It's quite a cliche-like story. You have the shy brunette Bronwyn who aspires to go to Yale, the american football star Cooper, the bad boy Nate and the Prom Queen Abby. Despite their cliche-like persona, you understand early in the story that they are more than what they appear to be... Which has now become a cliche too. However, they are still likable and I got quite attached to them, especially Addy and Cooper. Too bad the story focuses more on Bronwyn. I did not hate her, but I had less empathy for her than other characters. 
Each chapter follows the point of view of one or two of our protagonists (or suspects). Since it's their point of view, it really helps you get their personality better. It's not a third person narrative that follow each character, like the Jefferson Key is (see my review here : https://readingtimewithjay.blogspot.com/2021/10/the-jefferson-key-by-steve-berry.html) It's truly their thoughts. 

The story was nice, the investigation was interesting to follow and I enjoyed the first person point of view for the four main characters. It felt like I was having some time with them. A bit like a friend? 

Does One of Us is Lying deserve its hype?

One flaw this book has is that each and every twist was predictable. Maybe it's because I spend a lot time watching teen movies and shows, but truly, I knew exactly what was going on. But it was not predictable in a boring way for me, it was more satisfactory, as if I found the clues to get the right answer.

I read this in one go, which means I spent an all-nighter to finish this book. No regrets, as it truly felt captivating. The nostalgia might have helped a little. 

You will enjoy this story if you do not expect much from it and if you are used to Young Adult soft mystery. I do not know if it deserves its hype, but I am truly glad it helped me discover One of Us is Lying and Karen McManus, as the author writes only this type of story.

Conclusion.

It's a very basic story, with nice twists (even though they are predictable). 
I enjoyed my time and the characters. 
I honestly have nothing more to say...? 
If I did go on a deeper review, I have to spoil the story... So I will not do it :)
I recommend this book if you want some well written teen book! 


About One of Us is Next :

As I said, it was given to me for free. I only read few chapters and I have to say,  I enjoyed One of Us is Lying more. I can tell already. This story is a "truth or dare", which interests me less than drama and secrets. It's said to be a sequel and it's kind of a sequel without being a sequel. The main character in this book was a secondary character in One of Us is Lying and you see some main characters of One of Us is Lying in One of Us is Next. But you see them briefly, and more in a fan pleasing cameo way (like the web drama A-teen season 1 and 2 and Twenty Twenty). I'll probably write a review when I finish it !



Commentaires